Operation Action UP
Operation Action U.P. is unique—it is the only private-sector economic development organization in the state, which embraces all types of industries and serves a 15 county area. As fitting for a maturing organization, its members now predominantly come from the Upper Peninsula, and its basic direction is derived from them. After four successful decades, we continue to be an independent, responsive and responsible private agency. Economic development does not happen by accident. It needs concerted and consistent efforts. Today, Operation Action U.P. is stronger than ever and is in the forefront of a wide range of economic thrusts oriented towards the betterment of business and jobs in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Operation Action U.P. brings together interested industrial corporations, financial institutions, utilities, institutions of higher learning, businesses and concerned citizens in a coalition that will work to create a favorable economic climate and a strong employment base for Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Bring together interested industrial corporations, financial institutions, utilities, institutions of higher learning, businesses and concerned citizens in a coalition that will work to create a favorable economic climate and a strong employment base for Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. This will be accomplished by implementing the following programs of action:
- Provide leadership in economic development in the Upper Peninsula and maintain programs in industrial recruitment and job creation.
- Provide positive visibility for U.P. business and industry.
- Work with existing communities and agencies in the Upper Peninsula.
- Work with federal, state and local government to ensure the necessary infrastructure is available for industrial expansion.
- Work with the area’s educational institutions to ensure there will be an adequate pool of educated and skilled people to meet the needs of the region.
- Nurture the growth of the region’s smaller companies by drawing on the resources within the membership of Operation Action U.P. to provide technical and professional support.
- Develop networking opportunities among members to enhance their ability to work together on matters of mutual interest.
- Provide a forum for the discussion of economic and political issues that affect the region.
- Maintain contact with key federal, state and local officials from the region..
- Keep members informed on legislative issues that will affect the economic well-being of the area.
- Establish appropriate committees among the members to study and review issues and concerns, and communicate their findings to the members of the organization.
- Adopt positions on significant legislation or regulatory issues and communicate Operation Action’s position to appropriate parties.